Re: kinematics, traditional or not

From: "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>

I would probably agree with this, if I knew for sure what
it meant. "Traditional" means different things to different
people. The dictionary meaning of "kinematics" refers to
the science of motion _without regard to the masses and forces
involved_ which is probably not what Joe was intending.

Could somebody post a more-specific description of what's
"got to go" and why it's got to go?

Hi.
I had in mind the usual way in which the 5 (?) equations of kinematics are usually derived from F=ma with the assumption of constant acceleration. These same 5 equations are typically misapplied by students to the extent that they lose sight of the fact that they're only applicable in certain specific situations (namely constant acceleration). It seems a better approach would be to start with dynamics in general, and then show how traditional kinematics is merely a very special (albeit sometimes useful) case. This is the approach taken in Matter & Interactions and it has worked extremely well for me (and others).

DO NOT USE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ANYWHERE ON THE WEB!

All postings to this list are automatically archived on
the web. You can assume that the spammers have already
spidered the archives and harvested everyone's addresses.

Right, and I'm aware of that. What I had in mind here was specifically subscribing me to things like those "joke of the day" web sites and mailing lists where subscribing to one subscribes you to twelve. I have a minor problem with this recently.

Cheers,
Joe Heafner - Instructional Astronomy and Physics
Home Page http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/index.html
I'll never be able to afford a Lexus, but I do have a Mac. Same thing.
DO NOT USE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ANYWHERE ON THE WEB!