Re: possibly OT: NYT article on GA creationism/evolution debate

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 09:33:57 -0400, John S. Denker <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM> wrote:

I've been following this argument and have a slightly different
perspective. The first two paragraphs below I agree with ABSOLUTELY, but
I've seen the 'attack' on evolution not so much as an attack, but a door to
better education. Certainly, there are those who have jumped on the
bandwagon and used the pro-creationism arguments to try to discredit
evolution. That tactic is wrong for so many reasons.

However, I do agree with teaching creationism alongside evolution in some
schools. I is not an attack on thinking, it promotes thinking. You have
two "theories", one says ... and the evidence/problem is ..., the other
says ... and the evidence/problem is .... To deny that creationism exists
is self-defeating. If a teacher claims that we descended from bacteria
(which spontaneously appeared from dirt), and a church leader claims that
God made the world and everything on it in seven days, which one will a
child believe? Without any guided discussion, it is extremely difficult to
make an informed decision.

Alternatives to any "theory" should be presented, particularly when they
are believed by a significant proportion of the general public. That makes
the teaching of creationism more important in some school districts than in
others.

There's not much I can add except to say that the problem
is not confined to school-age persons. Sometimes I think
that kids are more open-minded and more ready to think for
themselves than typical adults are.

Teaching people how to think for themselves is the most
important teaching we can do, far more important than any
particular facts.

And that's why the attack on evolution is so despicable. It
is not just an attack on the facts of evolution; it is an
attack against thinking.