Re: Radioactive decay

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I just tried a hardware simulation using ten
common pencils (hexagonal cross sections).

Excellent idea.

Each pencil
has a black spot labeled 2 HB on one of its sides. I threw
all pencils on the flat table randomly and counted black
labels facing up. (It is like throwing ten dice and counting
one's).

Exactly so.

The procedure was repeated ten times. The result were:

1, 1, 4, 0, 2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 3

On the average 16 black spots or 1.6 per throw. I rounded
this to 2 and removed 2 pencils.

I'm slightly confused at this point. I don't see
the purpose of the repetition and averaging -- it
seems to be extra work, and the work is worse than
wasted, because it detracts from the otherwise-excellent
simplicity and immediacy of the demonstration.

Why not just toss the pencils and immediately snatch
away all those that land black-spot-up?

I had no
choice but to round fractional outcomes because pencils
(atoms) are indivisible.

I disagree! The indivisibility of pencils accuratly
models the indivisibility of atoms -- so why fight it?
Averaging detracts from the accuracy and from the
realism.

=============================

Tangential remarks:

1) If the decay rate of 16.66% per round is too fast, you
can lower it by various means. You can lower it by a
factor of 4 by saying that they only decay if they land
black-spot-up _and_ pointing toward the north side of the
room.

2) Pennies in cups are cheaper than pencils. Decay occurs
when the cup comes up all-heads.
-- 4 coins per cup ==> decay rate = 6% per round
-- 5 coins per cup ==> decay rate = 3% per round.

Another trick is to go to the hardware store and buy a box
of #2 washers. Spray-paint 'em red on one side. They have
the advantage of being small, so they fit into smaller
cups without overlap. Also red-versus-shiny is easier
to see at a glance when you're in a hurry.