Re: possibly OT: NYT article on GA creationism/evolution debate

It's been a long time since I learned the official
heirarchy of terms like "theory", "law", and "hypothesis",
but I wish someone would come up with something
better than "theory". No matter how many times we
explain that is shouldn't carry a connotation of
uncertainty, it always does.

This is a curious statement. Could someone please give an example or two
of a "theory" which does not have an element of uncertainty.

Both points above are well-taken. Perhaps it helps to remind our
students that "In science, 'Theory' is as good as it gets!" There is
no higher accolade in science than to have one's name associated with
a theory. To wit: Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism, Einstein's
theory of general relativity, and, sure enough, Darwin's theory of
evolution via natural selection.

- Tucker
--
Tucker Hiatt, Director