Re: multi-step reasoning

I believe the domino-checkerboard problem is attibutable to Gardner in
one of his many books.

My favorite is:
Imagine three boxes high on a shelf. In each box there are two marbles.
In one box there are two black marbles, in another two white and in the
third a black and a white. The boxes are marked black-black,
white-white, and black-white.
What is the least number of marbles you must remove from the boxes to
determine which marbles are in which boxes.

cheers,

joe

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, John S.