Re: nuclear power, titles of topics:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard Cleyet" <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>

One to occasionally put my behavior where my mouth is: Two years ago
all of
our lamps were incandescent including two 500 W behemoth floor lamps only
Gate
Keeper used (a mogul 200 + 300 and a 500 SiHa). Now all but two (outside
controlled by a motion detector) are compact fluorescents. PG&E (prodded
by
the state) conveniently includes the report of the energy consumption
(this is
English) for the gas (Therms) and electricity (kWh) for the previous
year's
month. Except for a month or two since it has been less than half! I
plead
the fifth on how we reduced the gas consumption -- I also haven't fixed
the
hot tub , yet. It's outrageous that our PG& E bill is half our 'phone
bill.

The first compact fluorescent I bought cost about $15. While trying to
install it in the lamp that we have come on automatically at night, I
dropped the damn thing and broke it. All the supposed monetary advantages
of switching dissappeared in a split second. Took a number of years before
I tried again. We now have several, but unfortunately the house is designed
with lots of dimmable 75 Watt flood lamps for which efficient replacements
are not available.

;-(

Rick