Re: Challenging the laws of physics

From: chuck britton <Britton@NCSSM.EDU>:
A lot of interest in the physics community existed because validated
Cold Fusion DOES exist. It's 'just' not a viable energy source.

IIRC, Pons & Fleishmann rushed into print BECAUSE a paper from the
muonium measurements was coming out soon.

8/7/02, Brian Whatcott wrote:
>Hmmm....so how do you describe the membership of the APS at that
>interesting meeting in LA which I attended, ... a high level
>of interest and .. squabbling centering on the talks given there by
>Pons & Fleischmann?

In my laboratory at UMass Lowell, people much more experienced in neutron
and nuclear physics than Pons and Fleishman, within days of getting a copy
of their paper, set out to reproduce their experiment as best we could
reconstruct it and look for neutrons which would have had to be released by
the reaction if it were consistent with known physics. An impressive
negative result was reached but was never published because so many other
labs beat us to the punch with negative results along that and other lines
of attempted corroboration. The skill, experience and resources brought to
bear far exceeded those of Pons and Fleishman.

Commercial investment in the process however continued.

Pons and Fleishman had available to them a distinguished and assomplished
nuclear physics research group at their own university, to which they did
not turn for advice, criticism or assistance, no doubt hoping to scoop them
rather than join them.

Chris Horton