Re: the Zapno (tm) anti-static device and dishonesty

Yes, and what does that law say? And give please give your quote in
context.

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, William Beaty wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Jack Uretsky wrote:

I wish that people who bandy the word "illegal" would identify the
law that they are referring to.

I just saw an example yesterday. The "violet ray" quack medical devices
were banned by the FDA decades ago. The Museum of Quack Medical Devices
mentioned FDA Section 502(a), misbranding: making false or misleading
statements:

Violet Ray Generators
http://www.mtn.org/quack/devices/uv.htm

Electrical quack devices
http://www.mtn.org/quack/devices/eleclinx.htm

Is "static electricity" the cause of most motion sickness? If not, then
in the USA Mr. Thorp would be in violation of a federal law.

Most such uses that I've seen are in the
same category as urban legends. Also, questions of ethics need to be
taken in the context of specific ethical schemes. Ethical standards for
lawyers, for example, appear to be quite different in Illinois and in
Georgia.

While ethical standards or actual laws may vary, dishonesty does not.
Whether legal or not, lying to your customers is still lying. In 1920,
selling radium and cocaine as "cure-all" medicine was just as dishonest
then as it is today, only the legality has changed.

Lying is an absolute: an intentional act. We can even use this fact to
define what "truth" is. "Truth" may be a multivalued entity which is in
the eye of the beholder, but "truth" also is something very simple:

that which is left over when all the lies and distortions are removed.

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci

--
"But as much as I love and respect you, I will beat you and I will kill
you, because that is what I must do. Tonight it is only you and me, fish.