Re: Which Evaluation?

Dear Tina--

All three tests could be used in intro algebra and calculus courses. The FCI and
FMCE are diagnostic tests that are designed to measure conceptual understanding and
the existence of non-Newtonian views among students and are typically administered
at the beginning of the semester and then again at the end, with the change in
class score a measure of what has been learned. The mechanics baseline is more a
test of problem solving ability and may be admistered only towards the end of the
semester. Of the two conceptual exams, the FCI is the older and more widely used
test, and covers a somewhat wider range of topics. The FCME is more focused on key
topics and includes graphical interpretation. I would recommend that you use one
of the conceptual tests at the beginning and end of the semester; which one is your
choice. I use the FCI because I am connected to the SCALE-UP project and that was
chosen as the test to by participants.

Scott Bonham

Dr. Scott Bonham
Department of Physics and Astronomy