Re: teaching 'em to learn, to think, and to decide what's important

I try to drop hints about what has worked for me as I studied to all my students. I don't think they listen sometimes.

This semester I had someone else come in and talk to my elementary algebra students about study skills, notetaking and test taking. I have also referred individuals for more specialized help. I don't know if it did any good but at least I can say I gave them the information they could use to succeed.

I plan on having someone come in to my physics classes next fall and do study skills again.

Tina

How many teachers explicitly discuss things like
the following?
1) study habits in general.
2) how to decide what's important, so you (the
student) can avoid wasting time memorizing
unimportant stuff.
3) how to consolidate the memory of something
you consider worth remembering.
4) how to think about the future; in particular
recognizing that there are some behaviors that may
seem like short-term disadvantages, but in fact
give you tremendous long-term advantages. For
instance, if you don't cheat and don't cram for
tomorrow's test, you'll be disadvantaged relative
to those who do ... but next year you'll know the
material and they won't. You will progress from
understanding to greater understanding, while they
spiral from cheating to grosser cheating, until
they get caught or give up. Eventually the non-
cheaters will be the only ones standing.
<<<

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429