Re: Spiral Approach within general physics

At 17:12 -0400 7/24/02, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

In large classes it means
"do not allow students to pass a course unless reasonable
expectations are satisfied." I was never asked to follow
this principle by an administrator. But I was often asked
(indirectly) to do the opposite: something like "education
is not for an elite, give everybody a a chance to succeed."

How are the two statements in quotes incompatible? I agree strongly
with both of them, on face value. Unless, of course, they are being
used as code phrases for "I plan on being the hardest-nosed sumbitch
in this department" and "in this school we never fail anybody no
matter how little they have accomplished."

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>