Re: No abbreviations

on 10/7/02 11:53 AM, Ludwik Kowalski at kowalskiL@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU wrote:

Never assume that every reader of your message will at once
know that J & W refers to Jenkins and White or that B & B
refers to Bleaney and Bleaney. There may be people who
never saw the textbooks to which you refer
. ...
Keep in mind that your
messages are often read on another continents.

I'd say it's a problem of age rather than location. There is a (decreasing)
number of us who who came of age nurtured on Jenkins and White and Bleaney
and Bleaney as well as Harnwell plus Joos plus Ritchmeyer and Kennard plus
Kittel. No doubt there were a couple of others that I'll think of after I
press the "send now" button.

Brian McInnes