Re: Energy before work

Ludwik, when publishers present this kind of drivel, I shut myself off in a
room somewhere and yell at the top of my voice -- calm down and resign
myself once again to the fact that physics teachers will never get it right.

But this is the worst it has ben since Carnot: "work" is a "flow of
energy"??? Good grief!!!

Through the book out as you would unmitigated trash -- It seems to have no
redeeming value.

At 13:52 09 07 2002 , the following was received:
I am browsing the Unit C of the "Six Ideas that Shaped
Physics" by Thomas A. Moore. The book (2nd edition)
was sent to me by the publisher (McGraw-Hill). I see that
the concept of energy is introduced, and used, long before
the introduction of work. On page 181 I see this:

"In physic, heat is any energy that crosses the boundary
between the two objects BECAUSE of the temperature
difference between them. Let me emphasize that to be
HEAT, the energy in question MUST:

1) Be flowing across some kind of boundary between
two objects, and
2) Do so as a direct result of a temperature difference
across that boundary.

We define work to be any OTHER kind of energy
flowing across the object's boundary.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen