Re: dielectric constant

I am puzzled by the fact that the the index of refraction
calculated as the sqr(dielectric_constant) is always
larger, typically by a factor of 2 or 3, than what is
measured in optics. To remove the inconsistency I
would have to assume that the index of refraction
at optical frequencies is much lower than what it is
in electrostatics. Why is it so?
Ludwik Kowalski

Check out the description in Hecht's Optics, (Section 3.3.1 on
Dispersion in the first edition which I have at hand).