Re: timing data for falling objects

At 10:04 AM 7/7/02, Michael Bowen, you wrote:

[Hugh Haskell]
>... [Y]ou can see that the drag force law scales
> as the cross-sectional area, with only a small
> dependence on the shape and the material.
>That's worth seeing.

Drag force or drag coefficient? I have a vague recollection of the drag
force as having a fairly specific velocity dependence.

I'm also curious about the experimental and computational details,
especially those that allow one to compute the drag coefficient from data
taken in a typical classroom setting without making _ad hoc_ assumptions,
and without using a wind tunnel.

If this can be pulled off under the stated conditions, I have to agree that
it would be worth seeing.

--MB

It is conventional to express a force due to air drag as
Fd = Cd . A . 1/2 rho V^2
where Cd is a coefficient expressing a shape and texture
at a reasonable range of sizes and speeds

A is a representative area
rho is a density
V is the air speed .....in any consistent system of units.

The Cd is the carpet under which all the variabilities seen in experimental
situations are swept.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!