Re: Less is less

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Steve Clark wrote:

But what I haven't seen in print anywhere is what the "less is more"
philosophy does to student motivation. My experience as well as my
professional judgement suggests that students will be more motivated to
learn the physics if they have TIME to incorporate it into their own
cognitive structures.

And this is exactly the point I was after initially (Yes, Jack, I
intentionally framed my question to imply its answer). As long as we are
locked into a 4 year curriculum in college for majors, or a single 2
semester attempt to instill physics into pre-meds, or a 3 year attempt at
all the sciences at the secondary school level, then the "less is more"
strategy is doomed to failure. A more comprehensive science curriculum
starting, as has been suggested, in 5th grade would be of benefit to us all.
That's a tough political row to hoe.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College