Re: Lectures and written communications

To me, the most distressing part of getting a response like Herb got is the indication that people don't have the common sense to respond properly, or don't take the time to respond properly, or aren't allowed to respond properly.

Would it have taken any longer or have compromised company policy to reply in the following way?

* * *

Dear sir,

(1) We do not recommend you take pictures with a camera that is known to be broken. You may experiment with the camera to see if it still seems to work properly, but Olympus cannot take any responsibility if you get poor or ruined pictures from using a camera that is broken.

(2) We do not provide repair parts to individuals. You will need to send your camera to us or to a certified repair facility to obtain replacement parts.

(3) Olympus cannot certify that non-authorized repairs will work properly.

If you would like to return your camera to Olympus for evaluation and possible repair, here is the procedure...

(form letter-instructions follow)

* * *

This is not a very satisfactory response in the sense that it solves Herb's problem, but it does show the following in a fairly friendly and succinct manner... (a) the person read the letter and responded specifically to the questions asked, (b) the corporate policy is not to provide parts or advice or work-arounds for cameras that have problems, (c) instructions for getting Olympus to repair the problem are given.

It might be wishful thinking to expect more help than this, but I don't see why we should have to put up with less than this.

If I worked for Olympus, and if the company allowed me to respond in what I determined would be an appropriate manner, I might respond like this...

* * *

Dear sir,

(1) The purpose of the window is so you can see that a film canister is loaded, and you can see what type of film is loaded. The red window reduces the possibility of light fogging the film, and it also keeps out dust. If you use the camera without replacing the window there is increased chance of fogging and increased chance of getting dust inside.

(2) It is our policy not to supply repair parts to individuals. I checked with our repair facility. There is a standard charge of $25 for the first half-hour of repair work plus the actual cost of parts. The repair you need is simple and would most likely fall within the $25 charge, but the only way to be certain is for you to send the camera to us for evaluation. There is no charge for the evaluation. Turn-around time is typically 10 days.

(3) Putting black tape over the window ought to eliminate the fogging threat and keep dust out, but you cannot see what film you have loaded without removing the tape, and you might want to do this in subdued light. You could also consider gluing a red piece of plastic over the hole. I would recommend you have the camera repaired, but your suggestion of tape ought to work. Of course Olympus cannot accept any responsibility for ruined pictures if you attempt repairs yourself.

* * *

I have gotten responses like this, and as one responder already mentioned, I tend to give repeat business to companies that treat me this way. It only take a little bit of time and knowledge to respond this way. The responder read the questions and understood what was being asked. The responder briefly explained what wouldn't work if the camera were not fixed. The responder knew or checked with the repair people to determine that this would most likely be an inexpensive repair. (BTW, I made up the $25 charge, I have no idea how much it would be. But if the responder gives a ball-park estimate it helps the petitioner know if it is worth the trouble to have a repair made. If the company has a minimum repair charge it would be worth mentioing this right up front.) The responder could not authorize user repairs, but in this case there is no safety issue, so why not acknowledge that the user's suggestion might work? I don't have any problem recommending how a person might try to repair something unless I think safety is involved.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817