Re: Online Labs

On Wed, 22 May 2002 08:16:08 -0500 Tina Fanetti
<fanettt@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US> writes:

I thought I heard that MIT gives its intro students a toolbox with
lab equipment inside for the students to use on their own time. =20

This I think could work with mechanics. Give them a stopwatch,
balls and cars and let them go?

Tina

These labs at MIT do not "require" the student to record data,
come to any conclusions or turn in lab reports for a grade.
They might be a nightmare for an instructor who has to read and grade
a hundred of such reports each week.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where reading and grading one lab report takes at least 10 minutes
or about 16 hours each week for 100 students)