Re: wheels come off - speed doubles?

Ken, you must have missed a couple of essential messages in this
thread. A "speed doubled" remark by a police officer appeared only for
a short time in an early version of the news report. The report was
then changed to its present form.

Like many list threads, this one makes sense only if you have followed
all the steps in its unravelling. The Phys-L archives at
<http://lists.nau.edu/archives/phys-l.html> should fill in the gaps for
you.

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright <exit60@cablespeed.com>
Retired (June 2001) Physics Teacher
Charlotte MI 48813 USA

SSHS KPHOX wrote:

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
I'm having a hard time figuring what physical mechanism might make
the speed double. I want to say this is bogus, despite the highway
patrol (see text and video) obviously taking it as fact... it if was
true, there should be an obvious kinetic energy principle behind it,
but I see none.

I am confused by this thread. Where do we see that the tires speed
increased? If it had, wouldn't it have passed the truck and made the
driver well aware of his loss?

Bewildered in Colorado

Ken Fox