Beaverton OR 97005
(503) 277-2299 voice (503) 277-2440 fax
jgastineau@vernier.com www.vernier.com

jsabol@NMU.EDU 05/20/02 11:01AM >>>

On more thing, I suspect "vapor" might be getting into the students
vernacular from relentless marketing of products directed toward
student-age persons or inhalers, where vapors of a liquid or a solid
are
inhaled.

This inhaler reference changed my perspective on all this. I have
asthma, so I carry an inhaler when I'm active. The inhaler creates an
aerosol of the medication--that is, fine droplets of liquid, which is
quite different from a gas. (ie the usage above is not quite right, IMO.
The inhaler does NOT produce a vapor.) Are Tina's students confusing
aerosol and gas/vapor?

Here's one particularly bad dictionary definition, which will only
impede student learning:
aer·o·sol Pronunciation Key (âr-sôl, -sl)
n. A gaseous suspension of fine solid or liquid particles.

JEG