Re: wheels come off - speed doubles?

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Jerry Hester wrote:

I once upon a time lived in the middle of Kansas. A farm truck
overloaded with grain was traveling down the highway at no more than 20
mph when a wheel came off. The wheel rolled a good quarter mile through
a field and practically destroyed my car sitting in my driveway. I
would assume that if the wheel comes off at the right point in it's
rotation, the weight of the truck could impart a very significant
rotational kinetic energy.
An aside: When I finally had my car repaired and returned. The next day
I had people replacing the water heater. They set it down on the porch,
it rolled off and into the driveway and smashed the heck out of my
fender. That particular car was just not meant to be sitting in the
driveway.

Sounds like that car was a "rolling object magnet." Maybe that's
where the doubled KE comes from.