Re: Vapor?

I hope you don't teach your students that a vapor is "kinda liquidy and
you could see it", Tina. Steam in a bathroom is NOT a vapor or a gas. It
is tiny droplets of liquid water, like a cloud in the sky. As far as
odor is concerned, some gases and vapors have an odor (such as H2S) and
some don't.

Low molecular-mass gases tend to follow the ideal gas law; most high
molecular-mass gases don't. Gases fill the space they're in ONLY if they
are the only gas in the space. Gases whose molecular mass is less than
that of air (80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen) "kinda float". Heavier gases don't.

Gas is not the fuel that you put into your car. That's gasoline which is
a liquid until it is pumped through the fuel injector and gets mixed
with air.

poj

Tina Fanetti wrote:

See, I always thought vapor and gas were different.
I thought that a vapor was kinda liquidy and you could see it, like s=
team in a bathroom. Also that it had an odor to it.

A gas was something that followed the ideal gas law, but it filled up=
the space it was in and kinda floated. =20
Actually gas is that stuff you put in your car but that is a differen=
t story.

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429