Re: Teachers and students

for the benefit of those (probably very few) completely ignorant of German:
Literally: Brief (letter), Wechsel (exchange), zwischen (between), und (and --
obvious) Briefwechsel = correspondence

bc who's only slightly German litterate.

P.s ".... nothing new under the sun." E 1:19 I think an ancient
philosopher complained about the youth of Athens (didn't find it in Google --
memory, poor?)

"Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither" wrote:

Hello--

I came across this lament of a teacher that I thought might be of
interest to the group.

"I am giving this winter two courses of lectures to three students, of
which one is only moderately prepared, the other less than moderately,
and the third lacks both preparation and ability. Such are the onera of
a mathematical teacher."

Karl Friedrich Gauss
Briefwechsel zwischen Gauss und Bessel
Letter to Bessel
January 7, 1810 (p. 107)

It seems as if some things are always going to be in a classroom.
--
Carl C. Gaither and Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither
angelfire.com/tx5/speakingseries

cut