Re: Is photon a wave packet ?

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Jack Uretsky wrote:
Note also that a single photon cannot create an interference pattern.
Only a coherent assembly of photons can do that. It's like the legal
principle that a person, acting alone, can never be guilty of a
conspiracy.

Not a perfect analogy, since it implies that photons have to conspire with
each other in order to form interference patterns.

A single photon won't be found in the zero-light regions of a double-slit
interference pattern. This is true whether or not there are other photons
involved, or whether or not those other photons are incoherent. However I
admit that we cannot know the locations of the nodes unless we know the
photon's frequency and direction of travel.

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L