Re: Blackboard (remote)

At 2:37 PM -0700 5/9/02, kowalskil wrote:
I agree with Chris Horton. Tools like Blackboard should not
be used as a replacement of face-to-face activities, only as
means to supplement them. At least that has been the policy
at my university, so far.
Ludwik Kowalski

I have taught distance ed in a couple of different formats, including
Blackboard. Blackboard is one of the best of its breed and some of our
professors are having success with it (our theater teacher, for example).
Creativity can make it a useful tool--more so than one might initially
think.

However, here is a better way than Blackboard. In Utah we have a two-way
video and audio system with which I can teach to multiple sites at a time,
live. I do demos and use equations and diagrams a lot and I can show them
the web. The students can do almost everything I can do (they probably
can't play DVDs back like I can, but they certainly ask questions and give
presentations). This EdNet system <http://www.uen.org/ednet/> is the next
best thing to being there. BUT IT STILL AIN'T BEING THERE! I'm still
convinced that being in the same room is best for many reasons.

It all depends on what you compare to. If you'll think back to the old way
of doing distance ed (mailing assignments through the US Postal Service)
either of the new formats are much better. So, if we used to grant credit
for a Physics 101 through the mail there shouldn't be any reason to do so
with the new technologies (I can't see ANY advantage the old US Mail system
would have over even Blackboard, let alone EdNet, and I see many advantages
the other way around). On the other hand, if you compare distance ed to
live classroom experience I think the live classroom experience wins hands
down every time.

Larry