Re: Reading quizzes/assignments

I tried using on-line multiple choice and fill-in-the-blank questions that
were straight from the text. Students just got the answers from each other
instead of reading the book. That didn't work!

Just-in-time-teaching is wonderfully effective at motivating students to
read. Questions are interesting and thought-provocative, students
get credit for participation (i.e. points for thoughtful responses instead
of correct answers), and reading and responding to the JiTT questions are
required BEFORE class. Responses are then used in class and are a
necessary part of lecture. This is even more motivation for students to
read and respond thoughtfully. It seems rather effective at motivating
students to read before class, although more assessment is needed.

AT