Re: Double concave mirror toy

Sounds like a very impressive exhibit designed
to generate questions and curiosity. It was Scott's
last sentence ("Took most everyone in the department
by surprise.") that made be expect something very
unusual. I guess an exhibit with mirrors is much more
effective than my setup with a lens.
Ludwik Kowalski

"Dr. Paul O. Johnson" wrote:

The commercial Mirage is one of our most popular exhibits. The black flying
saucer shaped double mirror is hidden inside a plywood box. The hole in the
top mirror is immediately below a similar hole in the box top. A thin sheet
of Plexiglas covers this hole to prevent small hands from entering.

We use to have a quarter at the object position and our sign said that if
the visitor could pick up the quarter at the top (the real image), he could
keep it. After a year of that we put the original pink plastic pig in the
object position and we now offer a free lifetime Science Place membership to
anyone who can pick up the pig.

We also have a small flashlight attached to the table with a thin cable.
When the visitor shines the light on the image pig at the top, he sees
"specular reflections" from the pig just as if it were a real object.
Obviously, the rays from the flashlight pass through the real image and
reflect from the two mirrors and from the object pig just as the rays from
the ceiling lights do to create the image pig.

The real image looks so "real" that, even with a well-drawn ray tracing
diagram, we sometimes have difficulty convincing visitors that it's not
magic.