Re: Airplanes

At 08:46 AM 5/6/02, Clarence wrote:
Yesterday midday, as I was approaching DFW in the rear of a Boing Super 80,
I saw a vapor trail starting between the outer end of the flap and the
aeleron.

It then occurred to me to make sense, as with the flap down that should
make a stronger vortex even than the wing tip.

But there was no trace of a trail on the port side, so I wondered what the
difference might be.

I don't suppose there is any chirality of water condensation?

Clarence P. Bennett
bennett@oakland.edu
Oakland University Physics
111 Hannah Hall
Rochester, MI 48309
248 370 3418

Planes are loaded by real people who do not quite eliminate
asymmetry. They are flown by real people, who do not quite
eliminate roll and yaw if in hands-on mode. The tanks may
be off balance.
The air mass there was moist this morning - it can be patchy,
but you would have noticed: so likely the trailing air was at the
dewpoint after being stirred up. It's a clammy day in the
neighborhood.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!