Re: syntax

Reminds me of a provincial exam here in Nova Scotia that in a collision
question indicated that there was putty stuck on one of the cars. When
we marked the question students all over the province asked what "putty
stuck" was!

Jack MacLeod
Bridgewater, Nova Scotia

John Clement wrote:

Good point. However my American Heritage Dictionary uses moving van. I
doubt the hyphen would have changed the result. The real problem is the
phrase "parked moving van". It can only be interpreted as being something
standing still with the word moving being a qualifier as to the type of van.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
what a moving van is,

I also weep for what "they" don't know but is a moving van different from
a moving-van?

Ken Fox