Re: induced emf again

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

the electric field we are
referring to ( in E =? qVxB) is the field added to the situation by the
accumulated terminal charges

In the interests of clarity, it might be worth representing
that quantity by some symbol other than E, since it differs
from the E-field that appears in Maxwell's equations. For
insulators the symbol D is conventional. For resistive
materials, something like Ebar might serve to represent the
average field, delta_V/L.

Our E is the field
whose line integral your voltmeter reads when placed terminal to terminal.

In the presence of changing magnetic fields, that is not
a satisfactory definition. I can get approximately any
answer imaginable by re-arranging the layout of the leads.

It is very useful to separate these two E field effects as we have done,
your analysis is sterile if you don't.

True.

But by the same token, the anaysis is incomplete and does
not make contact with the fundamental physics (which I think
is what the original question was asking for) unless the
relationship between E and Ebar is made explicit.

Also: Ludwik was asking what fields are conservative and what are
not. It is important to realize that this is !!not!! the same
as asking what fields come from a potential or not. A moving
or time-varying potential is not conservative. This enters the
problem at least twice:
-- When the wire moves in a magnetic field, the wire itself
is a moving constraint.
-- The resistive processes (E - Ebar) are time-varying in a
big way.