Re: induced emf again

Ludwik asked: . . .
|But Faynman argues that two ways of
|changing the flux result in two different phenomena.
| Right or wrong? I wish I could refer to an experimental
| verification of this theoretical claim.
| . . .

It may help to compare the cyclotron vs. the betatron:

The cyclotron employs only the qVxB effect to force an injected charged
particle into a circular "current". The B field is static in time. The
orbit is governed by |qVxB| = mV^2/R . There are no conductors to
constrain the motion, so that no static charges accumulate. The magnetic
field does no work - the energy of the "current" is still what it had at
injection.

The betatron does the same thing but also adds a time variation to the B
field, creating a non-conservative E field of circular, unending "lines of
force" . Here both effects are operating. The instantaneous value of B
determines the orbit through the qVxB force (which does zero work). The E
field generated by Curl(E) = -dB/dt directly does work on the particles,
increasing the "current". (In real devices the spatial and time
variations of B are typically controlled to maintain an orbit of fixed
radius, taking due account of the relativistic "mass" variation of the
particle.)

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net