Re: Advice for Tina and other rookies...

I am sl. surprised no one has mentioned narrative evaluations. Until recently
students at UCSC did not receive grades unless they so requested. Many
students came to Santa Cruz, because of this feature.

For the current policy see: http://reg.ucsc.edu/faculty/grading.html

bc

"RAUBER, JOEL" wrote:

Rick has two points below.

The north central accrediting is currently on an "assesments" kick. I have
often thought this was unecessary as the course grades "should" provide an
assesment of whether or not the student has learned and achieved what is
supposed to be learned and achieved.

The local supporters of "assesment" point out that you no longer can trust
grades to provide such an assesment, hence the need for other assesment
instruments. I interpret this to mean that because of grade inflation we
need other "grade-like" assesment instruments. Thus adding a whole new

cut