L Palmer - SFU

At 06:41 PM 5/1/02, I wrote, off the top:
When I read Michael Edmiston's note, I remember why I grieve
the loss of the voice of the Emeritus Physics Prof at UBC.
His priority was so evidently the caring advocacy of
students' academic interest there.
But I am glad to realise he was not alone.

Brian Whatcott

Hmmm... the sentiment was well-intended, no doubt: only the
facts were wrong. But then, I see some value in the saying:

"Only the perception counts: the facts are negotiable."

At any rate: for a mugshot and contact sheet:

<http://www.sfu.ca/physics/associate/emeriti/palmer/ >

And a sample of Leigh speaking up when he doesn't like what he sees....

"A couple of weeks before I returned to Canada I had my
sixtieth birthday. My colleagues at the Cavendish gave me a birthday
banquet at a local restaurant, Pizza Express, the memory of which
I shall always cherish. There were about forty people there.
I got the idea that at Cambridge classy behavior is instinctive. "
[A contrast with Simon Fraser U. ensues...]

Vivat Palmer!

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!