Re: Question about light and heat

I just really struggled with this one. Depending on the definition, it can
be either the thermal energy 'quantity' or the process in which the thermal
energy is transferred. You can "heat" something, or something can
have "heat". Because both are in general usage, I think it is important
for students to be exposed to both and the difference between them.

Of course one can use any word in a conversation anyway one wants - if one
is understood:

The problem with a skewed usage of the word "heat" is that hearers think
they understand but they do not -- especially our students.

For most of us the Q in the First Law is called "heat" -- but Q is not
"transferred" any more than W is transferred. W is an action _done_ on
a system -- likewise Q is an action done on a system. ie W is work done
such that dS=0 and Q is work done such that dS>0. Assuming that we want
the Second Law to remain valid.

The work done either by Q or W can change the energy level of the system,
but neither is energy nor is energy transferred in the normal sense of the
word.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen