Re: Teaching methods (was "Homework...")

The particular material is available at low cost from Vernier with complete
instructions and a videotape. No, I do not get a cut from it, and I doubt
that the authors make big bucks from it either. Anyone who is a skeptic can
try it as it does not take much time away from regular lectures and it is
compatible with the lecture format. They have published at current count 5
of these ILDs each of which takes 40 minutes. The first 4 cover kinematics
& NTNs laws, while the 5th one helps with energy ideas.

A very legitimate criticism of many of the reformed pedagogy is that it
requires too much effort to implement. Most instructors are reluctant to
try programs because they have to radically change programs that they
consider to be effective. I myself have found some material very
intimidating or incompatible with available equipment and time. Of all the
commercially available material the ILDs are probably among the least
expensive and require the fewest changes overall. IMO they are the best
entry into research based materials for busy instructors with limited time
to devote to trying new things. College teaching is the only profession I
know where the practitioners are just thrown into it with no real guidance
or preparation. Having a few good tested canned lessons such as the ILDs
can actually be very comforting.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Here's a public THANK YOU to John Clement for such a direct and
thorough response to the "Newton's 1st law teaching challenge." I'll
strive to find the wisdom, the courage, and (above all) the time to
put it to use.

- Tucker
--
Tucker Hiatt, Director