Re: buoyancy puzzle (long!)

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl E. Mungan [mailto:mungan@USNA.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 4:09 PM

[snip]
2. This time I completely replace the water in the
gap between the two blocks with rubber cement. I again let go. What
happens? Under what circumstances (if any) would the two break apart?

Let me remind you of the 3 proposed solutions:

A. They can break apart. The likelihood of this happening depends on
the depth of immersion of the blocks because the force between the
blocks is purely tensile and has no compressive component.

B. They cannot break apart. It is invalid to talk about a buoyant
force on each block individually so there is no tendency for the
blocks to fly apart.

C. They can break apart. The likelihood of this happening only
depends on the difference in densities of the two blocks and not on
the depth of immersion. The physics is the same if we replace the
glue with a bunch of strings.

[snip]

Who else would like to argue a case? Can anyone think of a simple,
decisive experiment to settle the issue? Carl

Idealization 1: Replace the glue with strings. This is option C.

Idealization 2: Replace the glue/blocks set-up with one where two cylinders
(one < d, one > d) are placed in a frictionless, massless tube with (your
choice of non-springy material) between the two cylinders. This is option
B.

The question is: which idealization better reflects the performance of real
glue? FWIW (not much), my vote is with idealization 1.

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301