Re: Test Writing

From: Rick Tarara <rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU>

If you have really been told such then you really don't want this job, nor
should anyone in the community want to go to this school. You will never be
happy working there. Seek another job.

Such is the state of community college education in this country. Tina and I have spoken at great length off list about this and it's simply outrageous. I get sick and tired of community college students (even some of my own) stating outright that courses at community colleges are SUPPOSED to be watered down and not challenging. However, it's quite another thing to have one's own administration foster this immature attitude. It's rampant here in North Carolina too. I've been quite fortunate over the past ten years to have had a small, but very competent, crop of graduates to on to great success at the universities.

I really, really, really worry about the administrators though. They play their little game of self-preservation without truly understanding what the role of the classroom is. Nor do they truly understand the role of the instructor. It's all about money (as Hugh pointed out yesterday) to them come hell or high water.

Tina, I share your concern and I fear for the reputation of your institution. Unfortunately, I don't have the ultimate answer. Let's hope both you and I, and others in this same situation, find a solution quickly.

Pollyanna...oops...Joe

Cheers,
Joe Heafner - Instructional Astronomy and Physics
CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>