Re: Test Writing

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:53:03 -0500 Tina Fanetti <FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US> writes:
> I would prefer not to give multiple choice tests, however, there has
> been some friction over the essay/short-answer questions.
> Example:
> On the last test I asked students to explain the difference between
> a  real and a virtual image.
>
> Student answered:  You can see a real image.  You can't see a
> virtual   image.  I took off points for this because it is not fully correct.

Perhaps Tina should have taken of more points for the student's
answer because his answer was absolutely wrong for the following reasons:

1. You cannot always see a real image.   The real images that are formed by
a convex lens or a concave mirror are usually invisible. To see such an
image it is necessary to place a screen at the position that the image
forms .   If a screen is not placed at the image position ,  the image is
still formed  there .... but it is invisible.

2. You can see a virtual image.  Just look into a  plane mirror and there it is!

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
( Where we can see virtual images but cannot always see real images)