Re: Homework (Was Measure of student understanding)

From: Larry Cartwright <exit60@CABLESPEED.COM>

IMHO we're also doing many students a disfavor by perpetuating
age-graded and one-size-fits-all curricula in our high schools.
"You're fourteen, and that means you're ready to learn about ..."

With this, and all the other talk on this subject lately, I'm beginning to wonder. If there are so many instructors/teachers/deliverers of instruction in our nation's classrooms who know a better way for our currently failing system to work, then why won't anyone listen to us/them/you? Are the greedy politicians to blame? Are the pinhead administrators to blame? Are we faculty members to blame? Are the students to blame? Is it all? Someone/something else?

Maybe I'm just being overly naive (won't be the first time), but it seems to me that if we know a better way then WHY don't we implement it?

I just don't get it.

Cheers,
Joe Heafner - Instructional Astronomy and Physics
CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>