From: William Beaty
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 2:54 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: The blueness of water

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Larry Woolf wrote:

A sufficiently high concentration of colored particles or plant matter
suspended in water will certainly give water the color of the particles or
plants.

But typical bodies of water are blue because water is a selective
absorber -

Last time this debate appeared on phys-L, I said what I'll say now: the
swimming-pool reactor at Cornell looked very odd, it did not look the
color of swimming-pool water. The walls of the tank were not painted
blue, and there were underwater floodlights. The water looked like a
block of colorless glass. It was only blue near the bottom (I vaugely
remember that it was 40ft deep, but I could be wrong.)

cut