Re: Why does electrostatic attraction in water decrease?

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

... Panofsky says that the effects of the dielectric field (modelled
by the fields of equal and opposite bound surface charges) on each
capacitor plate cancel.

That's true in the narrow context of a parallel-plate
capacitor (i.e. uniform field). But here we're talking
about non-uniform fields, in which case the effect of
the induced charges certainly doesn't cancel.

To see this, consider the force on a dielectric in
the inhomogeneous near a point charge. I would think
the dielectric causes an equal-and-opposite reaction
(force) on the point charge, wouldn't you? Conservation
of momentum and all that.