Re: Salary Quest: Re: PostitionAvailable:DirectorofInstructionalLaboratories

Sorry, I can't identify with either of your views.

I am well down in the brackett mentioned, and although in theory it is payment
for 10 months, I believe, in practice I can barely take any vacation at all,
for the simple reason that the work has to get done, and we're the ones who
have to do it! I believe some of my colleagues do schedule "real vacations",
but in my entire teaching experience I have always worked full-time through
almost the entire summer, first catching up on the piles of critically
important but somewhat deferrable work that built up over the school year,
then preparing classes for the next year, while trying to squeeze in a few
hours for research projects. (Ha! Wish me luck. Last summer for the first
time in 15 years I spent half the summer on research. My previous record was
one week.)

The exception to my normal summer schedule is two weeks travelling and
visiting family, during which I invariably take along a laptop and next year's
textbooks, and work half days. But still it's a great break and change of
pace, since during the academic year I do anywhere from 2 to 5 hours worth of
work at home after spending 8-9 hours in the office, and half day Sunday. But
hey! when I add it up that's only just over 60 hrs per week. I did 80+ my
first 3 years teaching.

Some have bemoaned our culture's rewarding professional athletes and "stars"
rather than those who are educating future generations [ That would be us ;-)
]. But maybe there is a sort of natural selection to this situation: if you
don't love teaching, chances are you'll do something else. So perhaps those
who stick it out are those who have a particular gift for it, who enjoy
teaching and (hopefully) are good at it.

Just musing,

Ken

| Ken CAVINESS Physics @ Southern Adventist University |
| caviness@southern.edu ESPERANTO = Lingvo internacia |