Stanford Physics job opening

Dear Physics Colleagues/Friends --

We have a job opening for our Introductory Lab Manager. The current person
is retiring at the end of 2002 after a wonderful 30 year run.

The brief job listing is below with a link to the full ad. We're a small
department and have just two people to run all of the undergraduate
labs: one for the Advanced labs (that's me) and one for the Introductory
courses (this job opening); a third person runs the lecture hall
demonstrations. Thus, the applicant needs to be everything from equipment
technician to instructor, TA trainer, soup to nuts.

We're looking for a broad range of applicants--presumably people with
degrees, but we would also consider a non-credentialed person with
excellent experience. I can say from my own experience that the person
will have a wide latitude to define their specific role once the basics of
lab management are covered. Experience, enthusiasm and/or interest in
working directly with students and TAs will help.

The ad indicates applications and questions go to Prof. Pat Burchat (see
bottom of ad), but I'm happy to talk to people and answer questions, as
I'll be working closely with the successful applicant. The position is
open until filled, but the desired start date is this coming fall, 9/1/02,
to overlap with the outgoing Lab Manager for 3-4 months. Thus sooner is
better than later for an application.

Best,

Rick Pam
Lecturer, Dept of Physics
Stanford University
650-725-2365
Introductory Laboratory Manager

The Stanford University Department of
Physics is seeking applicants for the position of
Introductory Laboratory Manager. The Lab Manager has complete
responsibility for the operation of the introductory
undergraduate teaching labs -- from
collaboration with faculty for curriculum and new experiment
development/fabrication, to overseeing
Teaching Assistants (TA) and equipment repair. Depending
on experience and qualifications, the
successful candidate may have teaching opportunities.
Laboratory or teaching experience in
higher education desirable. For full details of qualifications and
responsibilities, see:
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/physics/jobs/LabManDesc5.htm. START DATE:
09/01/02

Contact Information: