Re: ray tracing assumptions

I don't agree with this. Mirror ray diagrams have the virtue that
you're always dealing with real light rays traveling in the direction
of the propagation of the light. Thus, even if the image from the
first mirror is a virtual image and resides behind the mirror (where
there's really no light at all), it doesn't matter conceptually
because the light rays you are dealing with have bounced off that
mirror and are heading towards the next mirror in an easily
understood direction -- they're coming from the direction of that
virtual image. They could of course also be coming from a real image
in front of the mirror.

But in the case of lenses, one runs into a conceptual problem when
trying to draw ray diagrams that you don't run into with mirrors. I
think that you and John Denker are sweeping this issue under the rug
in your reply. Maybe it would help to give a specific lens
configuration:

When a lamp is placed 42 cm to the left of a particular convex lens,
suppose a real (inverted) image is formed 37.5 cm to the right of the
lens. The lamp and convex lens are kept in place while a concave
lens is mounted 15 cm to the right of the convex lens. A real image
of the lamp is now formed 35 cm to the right of the concave lens.
What is the focal length of each lens?

Applying the lens equation to the convex lens, one obtains +19.8 cm.
Applying the lens equation again to the concave lens (using the image
of the convex lens as the object of the concave lens), one obtains
-63 cm. But one runs into a conceptual issue (which I tried to
explain in my first query) if you try to draw the ray diagrams for
this situation. Try it!

The only answer I've come up with is that you can't solve a problem
by drawing ray diagrams when the object of a lens is a virtual object
-- that is to say, the object is on the same side of the lens in
which the light is headed. To put it another way, you can only draw
the diagrams using rays which are headed in the real direction of the
propagation of light. That conclusion may seem obvious, but I've
never heard that rule nor seen it in any textbook.

It sounds to me as if your only problem is explaining the concept
of a "virtual object." You seem to imply that mirrors avoid ever
having to deal with virtual objects, but that is not the case.

Irrespective of the identity of the optical element, when its
"input rays" are converging, we say it is processing the light of
a "virtual object." The optical element doesn't care about that,
it just processes the rays. If the element is a converging lens
or a concave mirror, then the output rays are *more* strongly
convergent. If it is a diverging lens or a convex mirror, then
the output rays are *less* strongly convergent and possibly even
divergent.

I find that these kinds of difficulties are much more easily dealt
with if one emphasizes the vergence properties of input and output
rays rather than the locations of images and objects. The latter
are necessary, of course, but they should be treated merely as
*tools* that help one to determine the vergence properties of the
rays, *not* vice-versa.