Re: Tesla or Westinghouse?

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Chuck Britton wrote:

At 3:12 PM -0700 on 4/11/02, William Beaty wrote
If Edison won the contract to harness Niagra falls
to light the city of Buffalo, his generators would have been limited to a
couple of kilovolts,

ummmm, is the kiloWATTS that you meant?

Kilovolts, as in the direct output of a heavily-insulated DC generator.
My seat-of-pants estimation for generators of the time is that 10KV DC
might be attained in the lab, but a working generator would be limited to
much less. Which means that the DC transmission lines between Niagra
Falls and Buffalo would run at a couple of kilovolts too. I think an AC
system could easily handle 100x higher voltage (and 100x lower current,
of course).

I suspect that the AC was shipped at no more than a few KV. Right?

I think many 10s of KV, but I don't know where to look it up.
Oil-immersed transformers and long ceramic insulators would be the weak
points.

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L