Re: a fan of 'momentum first'

I haven't done quantitative torque summations in a decade or so.
The CM activities cover Equilibrium (Stable, unstable and neutral).
We COULD do torques here, I guess, but don't plan to.

We actually do distance, velocity, time graphs first. The word
'acceleration' doesn't get stressed UNTIL it's F=ma time. We do a lot
with the 'slope of the velocity graph' but DON'T don't use the 'a'
word and don't have a list of 'Four Magic Equations' to solve 'all'
d,v,a,t problems. They can find the area 'under' velocity graphs to
do much of the problem solving.

At 3:08 PM -0800 on 4/9/02, kowalskil wrote
The so-called "traditional" sequence starts with
static equilibrium, then F=m*a, then p, then E.
Where does the static equilibrium fit in the
"momentum first" sequence?
Ludwik Kowalski

.... delta p = F Delta t

--