Re: INTRODUCING B

B is just a symbol used to represent the physical quantity
often called magnetic field. I do not know why the symbol
M was not chosen; perhaps somebody did not want to have a
confusion with the symbol already used for mass or moment
of force.

One could say it's because M_vector is already used for magnetization.

But in the end I would suspect that's just wishful thinking: after
all, it didn't stop the use of "mu" for both magnetic dipole moment
and magnetic permeability, often in the same equation (eg. the
magnetic field due to a current loop).
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026