Re: Resolution / depth of field (was Stellar by sunlight)

From: "Gary Turner" <turner@MORNINGSIDE.EDU>
. . .
Resolution is the minimum angle at which two objects can be resolved as
two
objects before they blur into one. Depth of field is the range of
objects
that can be brought into focus at the same time.

As the pin-hole gets smaller, depth of field increases. Closer objects
can
come into 'focus' because the light paths through the hole are more
constrained.
. . .

It has been many moons since I delved into the pinhole camera . . . I seem
to recall that an optimum situation occurs when just one Fresnel zone of
the opening is uncovered. At any rate there is an Optics text by Matt
Young which goes into this in detail. He has also published in optical
journals and TPT. Try these:

http://www.pinhole.com/resources/articles/Young/index.html
http://www.pinholeday.org/support/

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)