Re: A Query

Thank you for the quick reply. Sid Rudolph

Date sent: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:27:00 -0400
From: Chris Horton <ChrisAHorton2@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: A Query
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Send reply to: "phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics
Educators"
<PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>

My introduction to physics was a course at the Harvard Summer School
for premeds taught out of Holton and Roller's "Modern Physics", which
was published some time in the late '50's. It provided my inspiration
to eventually major in physics.

The text focused strongly on the historical and cultural context of
the great breakthroughs in physics, discussing what was commonly
believed and the arguments for and against those beliefs, and the
motivations and methods of inquiry of the scientists who overthrew
those beliefs. The effect was somewhat similar to taking a Modeling
Methods course; I experienced the invention and building of the new
models vicariously.

I have tried this method with a general science requirement course in
Radiation Science at a tech school and fell flat on my face. But I
only tried once and I haven't tried teaching physics from Holton and
Roller (no comparable book by Holton appears to be in print) so I
can't really draw any general conclusions.

Chris Horton