Re: EMF +- battery speculation

Ludwik asked (in a speculative message posted last night):

Is it true that most of the electric flux is in the acid between
the [battery] plates, as in a charged capacitor? I think so.

JohnD responded:

I don't think so. There is no field and no flux in the
electrolyte of an unloaded battery.

1) How do you justify this?
2) Suppose an air capacitor, whose one plate is Zn and another
is Cu, is already charged to X volts, the same voltage it would
develop in the electrolyte. Nearly all the electric field flux is
between the electrodes. The capacitor is then inserted into the
electrolyte. All the flux, you are saying, is now expelled from
the region between the plates. What does it? Why does the
flux "prefer" a longer path outside the plates instead of a shorter
path between the plates?
3) And is the electric flux distributed when one half of each plate
is sticking out; (it is not surrounded by the electrolyte)?

Ludwik also speculated that ions do not drift because:

in addition to the electric force (Fe=q*E) each carrier
[in space between the plates] experiences another force, equal
and opposite to Fe.This non-electric force was labeled as emf.

JohnD:

This is a fairy tale. Further speculation along this
line is not going to be helpful.

Many textbooks do refer to "a non-electric" force (agent) doing
positive work on ions inside a battery cell. Is this a misconception?
The "agent" is presumably responsible for gains of energy inside
a chemical cell.

By the way, my speculation was mostly about how the idea
of a "non-electric force" was conceived. Does somebody
have a non-speculative answer to the question?
Ludwik Kowalski